THIS NEWS IS VERY SAD. After Pakistan’s Supreme Court acquitted Asia Bibi on October 31st, the hard-line Islamist movement Tehreek-e-Labbaik (TLP) took to the streets in massive protests throughout Pakistan demanding her public execution by hanging.
As The Guardian reports: “Bibi, a Christian farm labourer, was acquitted of blasphemy on Wednesday. She had spent eight years on death row after she drank from the same cup as a Muslim, prompting false allegations that she insulted the prophet Muhammad.”
“Extremist groups have called for the Supreme Court Justices to be killed and for their decision to be reviewed.” In fear of his life, Asia Bibi’s lawyer Saif-Ul-Malook, the Supreme Court Advocate for Asia Bibi, has fled the country.
“I think I have absolutely no safety,” Malook told NDTV. “No security and I am the easiest target… anybody can kill me.”
“Despite this lack of safety, Malook says that he has no regrets in taking up Bibi’s case.”
The Pakistani government defended the Supreme Court’s ruling and supported it militarily. However, the protests have dramatically disrupted the nation and caused $1.2B in damages. Now the ruling administration has struck a deal with the hard-line TLP that, according to the BBC:
- Releases all protesters who were arrested and investigates any violence done against them
- Starts a legal process to ban Asia Bibi from leaving the country
- Asks protesters to stop and to disperse
- Allows a petition to be filed that would force a review of Pakistan’s Supreme Court’s verdict of her acquittal
Asia Bibi is scheduled to be released later this week; a move that The Guardian says is her death warrant.
Sunday, November 4th, is the International Day of Pray for the Persecuted Church. Please pray for:
- Asia’s protection and escape from Pakistan
- The protection of Pakistani Christians
- God to confound the persecutors
May the peace of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Like, follow, share.
Rob Oberto, D.Min., is the award-winning author of “Intimacy With God” available from Amazon. ©2018 Rob Oberto, All Rights Reserved.